Saturday, April 01, 2006

Forward Fest 2006

Today was a good day, no, a GREAT day!!!

The Offspring had asked to go to a fest being held in historic downtown Bryan. Love the buildings there!!! We went and although it was small-ish it was fantabulous!

Odd as it seems I have never, since moving to this area 6 years ago, got to mingle with "artsy" types...infact I had no idea there were so many! Forgive me if I giggle like a child....when you live where football reigns as THE past time and arts are looked down on as "summin them longhairs'd do" , it was nice to be around kindred spirits.

It cost nothing to get in and there were tons of activities for small humans. Plus I was shocked, yes, SHOCKED, to see several booths to causes we find important. Animal welfare, womens rights, well too many to list, but think "hippie-ish" type things..LOL

At the League of Femininist Studests...I think that was the name. Anyway, we found the coolest buttons..I will post photo tomorrow. Also they were taking instant photos of folks and telling them, after taping the picture on a paper, to write three things that make you beautiful. Very interesting! The girls put things like, "I am kind" and "I am thoughtful".

We got to watch some drumming....again wonderful.

There were local artist set up, I bought some gifties for some of you peeps! Shhhh don't tell... Oh and some fair trade organic hazelnut creme coffee, for me, YUM!

And the bestest thing to happen was as we were strolling a woman kept eyeballing me, and I thought maybe I had a booger hanging out or something, she approached me and asked if I was an artist...I said yes, of course a tad sheepishly, and she said great, come join us on the art council. She said my memebership included my business link on a website, plus GRANTS!...She said the council gets grants from the league that is rebuilding the historic downtown area and so they pass those along to local artist. And get this if I were to suggest a "fest" type idea...let's say fibre arts fest (weavers, spinners, crocheters, knitters, dyers, etc) ....then I could get a $1000.00 grant for myself! At first I thought she must be hitting up everyone, but she wasn't...how'd she know I was artsy? Oh and the memebership is a very small $25! How could I NOT sign up!?

So here's the deal...I don't post all my creations for two reasons, 1) I figure who wants to see them? and 2) I haven't found the confidence. I do get paid for some stuff I do but somehow it's different someone knowing about it and wanting it and then pushing it off on others, even to see....BUT I decided from now on I am showing whatever it might be (painting, writing, sewing, etc), who cares if others like it, hell I might not even like it...

Life is grand, now to learn to allow it to be more often.

3 Comments:

Blogger MrsFife said...

Yay for you! Great to have similar-minded people around.

1:42 AM  
Blogger Marvie said...

That's awesome! Sounds like a great day all around =)

3:27 AM  
Blogger hi, i'm natalie said...

Sounds like an all around fabulous time! I can't wait to see all your creations!!

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home