Monday, September 05, 2005

Kiss Me, Baby!!

I'm no pro at being a mom, infact I am lacking in the department, crap I don't even like children per se...
I will kick anyones ass who harms a child but I don't care to be around small humans.
Okay yea, I'm a bitch, so what!
My offspring never had a mom who flopped in the floor playing with them or ran around at the park...we read even when they were toddlers we went to lectures etc..
When Emily, the eldest, was four she had some interaction with "real" children, she was amazed at them running around making loud burst of noise...she wiggled her small finger and looked up me with saucer sized eyes and when I bent to reach her whisper , she says "Is there something wrong with that child?"
Did I do harm to them, not sure...but they are very liberated...if they feel like dancing in Target, go for it....if they sing at the top of their lungs to HIM, go for it! Somehow they found their own balance....Maybe it was the live music festivals that made them free spirits...who knows...But I know I like to be around THESE two small humans.
Okay I've rambled and lost the meaning in this post! LOL

Now to the crux of this madness....
We made a trip to Wally World...YIKES, I know...but as the girls were walking in with their Dad they we greeted by girlfriends smooching at the store entrance...
No one flinched no one said a word! BRAVO...I gotta say I was very proud of them , but decided I would wait to see if they said someting. So having bought more shit than we needed we made our way back to our van, got in and took off for home.

The Old Man whispers "the girls saw some ladies kissing do we need to discuss it?" It's our rule we have open topics, nothing is off limits and discussed within reason. Not profain or over the top but explanatory. Apparently Emily heard his whisper and she said "SO!!"...The Old Man and I looked at eachother and grinned. He asked "why "SO" Emily? Explain why you said that." She said "well who cares if there were girls kissing, thats their business, beside at least they are being kind to one another". He said "did it make you uncomfortable"....she said "no, people loving eachother shouldnt be uncomfortable"...So then Amy was asked how she felt...She simply said.."Loves got nothing to do with if are you a boy or girl"

WOHOOO....Score one for offspring! Should this be a big deal...well no, but it is, sadly!!! The Old Man and I had such a euphoric feeling all evening! Living in the fundamentalist belt.....openness is almost unheard of.

BTW, we do jump in rain puddles....dance in walmart...and sing at the top of our lungs to "Queen"...all of us...So if you're ever in central Texas and see people with a rainbow of hair colors hopping in puddles and just acting plain nuts...stop and say "Hi"! Guess we all have reached our childhood together...who knows!

8 Comments:

Blogger Deneen said...

You are such a good mom.....really. I think kids to be free to express themselves whenever and never try to hush mine down when she decides to sing in Wal-Mart either. We have a very open policy here and when something is brought up, it's always explained-never criticized or extolled, just explained. Open minds are wonderful things.

8:38 PM  
Blogger Lynlee said...

Outstanding!

I think the reaction of your children to this specific situation only PROVES that you are a good mama.

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

psst.....

check your e-mail, it's important

Joe

4:59 AM  
Blogger sara said...

BRAVO! wish there were more mommies like you!

5:42 AM  
Blogger CraftyCritter said...

Thanx for the vote of confidence...I guess time will tell what kinda job we are doing on the child rearing front.
I hope I never start thinking Im doing a good job.....because I know I won't try as hard.

Damn spelling!

6:24 AM  
Blogger Marvie said...

Congrats to you! Good job mama =) We also have an open discussion policy. I do tend to ask the kiddo if he's sure he wants to know bc he knows I'll be truthful, and I keep it at his level of understanding when he does want to know. Heh I remember when he asked me what a lesbian is. I was driving down the road, coming home from.... yup Wal-Mart rofl. He was about 8 I think. And of course everything at that age is gross, but he said he wanted to know so I told him. I make a point of letting him know that everyone is free to choose what makes them happy and it isn't our right to judge them. Hopefully he'll be an openminded adult. That's my goal anyway ;)

8:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What wonderful girls! If only all children were as open-minded and accepting!

-SP

9:22 AM  
Blogger LadyLinoleum said...

We are very similar in our Mom-dom Cordelia. You guys sound like my kinda peeps.

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home